The History of the Pubs
“Emsworth in the First World
War” David Rudkin 1993
This is a list of all the known hostelries in Emsworth. They range from a coaching inn which has served the town for over 300 years to humble Victorian beer houses with a life of only a few years. Many of the smaller establishments did not provide the sole income of their proprietors: the husband often had another trade and the wife ran the beer house. In the eighteen-seventies there were about 25 premises in the town dedicated to the sale of drink; of these 9 were in the small area covering South Street, the Square and High Street.
The keys in the list are: Number; refers to location on the map overleaf; date; earliest date in documentary sources. This will imply therefore an earlier date of origin than that shown. : Hostelry still in existence; *: no longer a hostelry but building still in existence.
(1665) High St. Was THREE
CROWNS originally. Name
changed to CROWN in 1788.
Used .or subscription balls,
concerts and auctions. A
principal inn for
accommodation of travellers
and mentioned in a book of
coaching inns, 1790. Central
timber-framed core still
visible. Until recently had
large crown over entrance
portico. Now The Crown Hotel
with a function room and
5 *SAFFRON BREWERY (1838) South St. Beer house. Boyles family 1838-1871. In 1891 Miller, the publican was also a pilot. Located at N'6 South Street now Hazel & Co, Estate Agents.
6 SLOOP (1795) South St. The landlord 1851-81 was also a Trinity House Pilot and oyster merchant. In 1891 the license was opposed by the police on grounds it was in excess of the wants of the population, .but objection was withdrawn. Nevertheless the SLOOP disappears from directories soon after this date.
8 BREWERY TAP (1869) subsequently BLUE BELL South St. It was owned by the Brewery (Hipkin) at inar. In 1891 landlord was also a plumber and decorator. This was demolished and the present BLUE BELL (1960) was built a few yards up the street.
10 *ROYAL SOVEREIGN (1865) Queen St. Beer house. Not recorded after 1871.Situated near corner with High Street.
11 *DOLPHIN (1820) Queen St. Now flats. In 1851 landlord William Fielder was also a ship owner. Subsequent landlord was a blacksmith with shop at rear. The inn ceased as such after 100 years.
12 LORD RAGLAN (1830) Queen St. A 19th century beer house on the site of a slaughterhouse. Originally the GOOD INTENT and renamed after the Crimean war hero in the eighteen-sixties.
13 ROYAL OAK (1830) Hermitage. Named after the escape of Charles II and still then a favourite name nearly 200 years after the event. Renamed The Mill Pond in 1998 converted to B&B in 2005.
15 SUSSEX BREWERY (1749) Hermitage. The Miller family were landlords from 1749 to 1978. Painting by Diana Mead
16 *GREAT EASTERN (1840) Hermitage. Public house until 1917 when it became a Mission Chapel. Named after Brunel's ship. Described as a freehold public house: 11 rooms. A lodging ho
17 BAKERS' ARMS (1840) Hermitage. Not recorded after 1861.
18 TOWN BREWERY (1847) West St. Landlord in 1871 also a blacksmith.
19 SAWYERS' ARMS (1851) Havant Rd. Ceased by 1860. Landlord had been at King's Arms.
20 KING'S ARMS (1820) Havant Rd. In 50 years from 1840 had only 4 landlords.
21 LITTLE GREEN (1847) North St. First landlord,Chitty, was also a carrier. Was at the south end of a row of shops (now under and next to One-Stop). Ceased to be a beer house in 1956. Demolished 1960.
22 Unnamed beer shop (1841) By Church gate.
(1871) North St. Originally
a beer house. Landlord in
farmer (George Slade) with
land behind. Demolished in
2003, the site is now
occupied by flats.
24 RAILWAY TAVERN (1851) North St. The original Railway Tavern/Inn was on the west side of North St. opposite the gas works entrance. In 1874 was last building on west. Had black wood stables. The railway arrived in Emsworth in 1847.
25 RAILWAY HOTEL subsequently was established on the corner of Sultan Road by 1891 and is renamed SCALLYWAGS in 1997 reverting to The Railway Inn in 2004.Until the 1960s a Brickwoods pub.
36 TheLOCOMOTIVE (1851) North St. First landlord, John Chalcraft, was also a pork butcher. In 1890 advertised 'wines, spirits and well-aired beds'. Demolished in the 1950s and replaced by The SEAGULL, set back on the same site which was demolished in 1999 and replaced with a residential developmen
27 FAIRFIELD (1960) New Brighton Rd. Most recent. Conversion of private house now used as a pre. school nursery
28 Unnamed beer house New Brighton Rd. (1878) Charles Bishop was a tailor and beer shop keeper.
29 GOLDEN LION (1718)? High St. Fire Insurance records
30 WHITE HART (1718)? South St. Fire Insurance Records
R & S Morgan Emsworth
Maritime and Historical
Trust. (The Pubs of
Emsworth No. 1 of a
series of occasional papers